One of the skincare industry’s age-old missions is to stall the effects of aging. Everyone wants to look as young as they can for as long as possible. With all the choices, shopping for an anti-aging skincare product can feel like a hit-or-miss experience. Follow these tips to find the best anti-aging skincare products for your skin.
Use Sunscreen and Moisturizer
The two most effective anti-aging products you can buy are sunscreen and moisturizer, as using these two every day can make a noticeable difference. One of the biggest causes of skin aging is sun exposure. Protecting your skin from the sun helps to reduce signs of premature aging on your skin. It also allows your skin to repair and renew itself, reducing your risk of skin cancer. When shopping for sunscreen, select one with an SPF of 30 or higher, a broad spectrum, and water-resistant. An anti-aging moisturizer helps to minimize fine lines and traps water in your skin. This extra moisture can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and brighten your complexion.
Ingredients to Look For
When shopping for anti-aging skincare, there are a few key ingredients to look for. Vitamin C helps lessen the sun’s damage to your skin and helps take away fine lines. Retinoids like retinol may make your skin smoother because they help your skin produce more collagen. It’s easier on your skin than prescription-strength ones, which can dry it. Peptides are groups of amino acids that help make proteins, including collagen. Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) remove dead skin cells, which could help to reveal new ones with a more even skin tone.
To get the best results from your products, follow these tips:
- Introduce only one new product at a time. Using multiple new products all at once can irritate your skin, which, in turn, can make signs of aging more noticeable. If you have numerous new products, introduce one, wait a few weeks for your skin to accumulate, and then add another.
- Test the product before applying it to your face or hands. Everyone’s skin is different; what works for your best friend might not work for you. Even hypoallergenic products designed for sensitive skin can cause a reaction. To test a product, apply a small amount to your inner wrist or forearm. Repeat this twice a day for four to five days. If your skin looks normal – free of redness, itch, etc. – you can apply it to your face.
- Give the product time to work. Then, keep using it. Most products take at least six weeks to work. Do not expect the product to work instantaneously. Once you start seeing results, don’t stop using the product. Continue using it to achieve the maximum results.
- Stop using a product that stings, itches, or burns. These sensations mean that the product irritates your skin; irritated skin looks older. If you are using a product your dermatologist prescribes, ask if this should happen before you stop using it. Some prescription-strength products will burn or sting.
- Follow the directions. Some products contain active ingredients that can cause problems if you apply more than directed. You could end up with clogged pores, blotchy skin, or dehydrated skin. Read the instructions, and use as directed.
Recommended products and where to buy them:
- COSRX Advanced Snail 92 Facial Moisturizer at Target ($15)
- L’Oreal Paris Collagen Daily Face Moisturizer at Amazon ($8.50)
- Confidence in a Cream Anti-Aging Hydrating Moisturizer at Ulta Beauty ($59)
- alpyn beauty Super Peptide & Ghostberry Moisturizer at Sephora ($62)
- Caudalie Vinosource-Hydra SOS Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum at Amazon ($52)
- TBT (Anti-Aging) Serum at DIME Beauty ($38)
- Glow Recipe Pomegranate Peptide Firming Serum at Sephora ($45)
- Missha Time Revolution The First Essence Serum at Target ($54)