It’s Memorial Day weekend! While this is a time to remember the men and women who died while in military service, it’s also the unofficial summer kickoff. If you aren’t covered in sunscreen, sitting poolside with a margarita and a BBQ sandwich, then you’re doing it wrong. From happy hours to awesome live shows – and a swimming pool now open for Addison Athletic Club members! – there’s plenty to do in Addison/ Read all about it and more in our guide of 7 Things To Do This Week.
Raise a glass to happy hour in Addison!
1. Invite your friends to happy hour at the Quarter Bar & Grill, where you can get $3.50 domestic pints, $3.75 wells, and $4 house wine. Happy hour takes place from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday-Friday, and you can also get $4 Crowns on Wednesday, $4 wells on Thursday, $4 Platinum Vodka on Friday, and a shot special on Saturday with $4 Kamakazi, $4 Lemon Drop, and $4 Fireball Cinnamon.
2. Monday-Friday from 3-6 p.m. is happy hour at Public School 972! Come in for $8 signature cocktails, $5 sangria, $5 select wine by the glass, $4 well drinks, $6 call drinks, and $3 off all draft beers. You can also get mouth-watering bar bites while you’re there, including $6 bacon cheddar tots, $7 crispy buffalo cauliflower, $7 chorizo mac & cheese, $7 parmesan truffle frites, and more. School has never been more fun!
Kick off the unofficial start of summer with delicious BBQ.
3. You can order meat by the pound at Austin’s Bar-B-Que, including brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, turkey, sausage, jalapeno sausage, and chicken. Pair that with a side of baked potato, loaded fries, potato salad, mac and cheese, or other delicious sides. Order it to-go or for delivery so you can enjoy it with a nice cold beer at home.
4. Only open on Thursdays, Fridays, and the first Saturday of every month from 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Cattleack BBQ is one of the best in the areas! Order brisket, beef rib, burnt ends, pork ribs, pulled pork, or turkey by the pound and a whole hog on select days. Or get a tasty meat sandwich, and amazing sides or burnt end beans, hatch chili mac & cheese, Granny’s cole slaw, Mamma Jeans Greens and other sides. For dessert, you have a choice of crab cake or banana pudding. BYOB is allowed! For Memorial Day, they’re offering $5/pound raw, chilled, and vacuum packed Akaushi ground brisket meat for your cookout if you preorder by Friday at 5 p.m.
5. Looking for one of the most entertaining shows in Town? You’ll find it at Pete’s Dueling Piano Bar! This entertainment venue offers live music from 7 p.m.-close Wednesday and Thursday, 7 p.m.-close Friday and Saturday, and for corporate events or private parties any day. This high energy show features dueling piano players, showcasing hits from every era on t wo baby grand pianos. It’s also a party atmosphere, where even the waitresses and bar staff dance and sing along.
Arts and Entertainment
6. The Addison Athletic Club pool opens this week for members! Pool hours will be from noon-5 p.m. Saturday, May 29, 1-6 p.m. Sunday, May 30, and noon-7 p.m. Monday, May 31 (the Athletic Club will be closed this day, just the outdoor pool is open). Before you dive in, be sure to stop by the front desk or call 972-450-7048 to make sure your membership is up to date (only for Addison residents). Once it is, you can enjoy a refreshing swim once again.
7. Amazing movies are coming to AMC Village on the Parkway 9 this weekend! Disney’s Cruella starring Emma Stone premieres this Friday. Cruella is about one of Disney’s most notorious and fashionable villains – Cruella de Vil. This movie is set in 1970s London admist the punk rock revolution. It follows a young grifter named Estella, who is clever and creative and determined to make a name for herself. When she befriends young thieves and a fashion legend Baroness von Hellman (Emma Thompson), their relationship quickly becomes wicked. Additionally, A Quiet Place Part II will also open this Friday, starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski. After the deadly events at their home, the Abbott family must face the terrors of the outside world as they continue their fight for survival in silence. They are forced to go into the unknown, quickly realizing that the creatures who hunt by sound are not the only looming threats.