Give back to kids in need this holiday season by participating in the Dallas Magnolias Holiday Drive benefiting the Children of Vogel Alcove, which is taking place now through Dec. 14 in Addison! Regina Bruce, member of the Board of Trustees of the Dallas Magnolias and chair of this event, along with Robert Griffin III “RG3”, honorary chair of the Holiday Drive, encourage everyone to bring donations to 4819 Keller Springs Road in Addison.
“Dallas Magnolias is thrilled to have this opportunity to join together with presenting sponsor CAPTRUST and RG3 as honorary chair to create a magical and joyous occasion for the homeless infants, toddlers and pre-school children served at Vogel Alcove,” Bruce said in a recent press release. “In this season of giving and in the spirit of the holidays, we are sincerely grateful to spread that heartwarming message of help and hope to these children and their families during this most special time of year.”
Dallas Magnolias inspire, motivate and support women in the workplace, home and through philanthropic causes.
Vogel Alcove is a nonprofit agency that provides therapeutic early childhood services, school-age programs and family support services for homeless children and their families. Since 1987, the agency has served more than 16,000 Dallas-area homeless children.
Griffin and his wife, Grete, agree, saying in the release, “It’s a blessing to be the honorary chair for this Holiday Drive. It’s important that we continue to find ways to build up our youth and give them a fighting chance in this world.”
Griffin is a former Baylor University two sport All-American (track and field and football) athlete and Baylor’s lone Heisman Trophy winner. In his Heisman winning season, Griffin led Baylor to a 10-win season and a Bowl game victory. He also broke 20 career records at Baylor on top of winning the AP Player of the Year, Davey O’Brien and the Manning Award, and he was the second overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft for the Washington Football Team. He currently plays quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens.
There are two significant ways to support the Holiday Drive this year. First, help fill the Santa Stockings. These three-foot tall, festively decorated stockings will be filled with items donated by the community from the Holiday Wish List. For those who wish to donate toys too big for the stockings or essential items (such as socks, underwear, coats, scarves, gloves/mittens, hats, etc., for infants, toddlers and/or preschooler), all of those items are welcome as well! Gift cards from retailers are also encouraged and will be used by our volunteers to shop and to also help fill the stockings.
Items on the Holiday Wish List include:
- Age appropriate developmental toys, light up/musical toys, soft balls, board books, stacking blocks, soft dolls, pajamas and more for infants
- Wooden puzzles, big toy cars, large-size Legos, balls, sand buckets and scoops, dramatic play costumes, animal books, bicycle helmets, pajamas and more for toddlers
- Trains and train tracks, rescue vehicles, wooden bead toys, large-size Legos, small doll houses, toy tool kits, toy tea sets and dishes sets, superhero action figures, large-piece jigsaw puzzles, preschool science and math materials, preschool art supplies, flash cards, coloring books, activity books, sing-along CDs and more for preschoolers
- Chapter/series books, science books, liquid bubbles, board games, 500+ puzzles, arts and crafts sets, jewelry making kits, dress-up clothes, hair accessories, princess dolls, brain teasers, handheld video game players and games, pajamas and more for elementary students
- Chapter/series books, puzzles, strategy games and card games for teens.
Please purchase new items from the list and donate (used items will not be accepted).
The second opportunity to help is by donating Bye-Bye Bags to help fill a critical need in the fight against hunger, which are given to the children when they leave Vogel Alcove at the end of each day. These Bye-Bye Bags are lunch-size paper sacks filled with a variety of shelf-stable snacks and protein (without peanuts), a small bottle of water or fruit juice and plasticware (if needed).
A sample list includes:
- Goldfish crackers
- Cheese crackers
- Individual-size boxes of cereal
- Tuna salad kit with crackers
- Chicken salad kit with crackers
- Fruit cup
- Applesauce cup or squeeze packets
- And more
Vogel Alcove often gives out 200 Bye-Bye Bags each day. The goal is to donate at least 500 Bye-Bye Bags this year. Donate in person by Dec. 14 or with cash online through VogelAlcove.org by entering “Dallas Magnolias Holiday Drive” in the comment section. It feels good to help kids this season!