Getting sick doesn’t stop at Christmas, as much as we wish that wasn’t true. But to help minimize your chances of getting sick as the COVID-19 pandemic continues, Corridor-based Advance ER offers a few tips on how to have safe holiday celebrations.
According to their website, Advance ER said, “Remember that any time you gather with people who do not live with you, even if you are at a personal residence, the risk of getting COVID-19 increases for everyone there. This is especially dangerous for attendees who are older, are immunocompromised, or have underlying health issues that put them further at risk.”
If you do choose to have a holiday gathering this weekend, take the following precautions to help minimize your risk:
- Keep the gathering small. Advance ER says that the safest way to celebrate is to limit your gathering to your household, but if you invite anyone else, try to keep it as small as possible.
- Wear a mask and social distance. Stay at least six feet apart from other guests and wear a cloth face covering when you aren’t eating. Advance ER stated, “This is vital because some infected individuals are asymptomatic and wearing a mask can stop them from spreading the virus they might not even know have.”
- Gather outdoors if you can. Referencing a Japanese study, Advance ER explained that researchers agree: outdoor gatherings are safer than indoor ones. Eat and open presents outside if you can.
- Wash hands and disinfect surfaces. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly, taking care not to miss the front and back of your hands and underneath your fingernails before, during and after preparing food. Also, use an EPA-approved disinfectant frequently on areas that are commonly touched.
- Gather virtually with friends and family. This is the safest way to celebrate the holiday season and can still be fun. You can call each other, drink and eat together over Zoom or Facetime, and mail or drop of presents at each other’s houses. It may be a little weird, but it is guaranteed to help slow the spread of the virus.
If you do feel sick or were exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you should not attend a holiday gathering under any circumstances. You can also call 214-494-8222 to schedule an appointment for rapid results COVID-19 testing at Advance ER. You can get same-day results (when available), but priority is given to patients with COVID-19 symptoms and to all critical infrastructure workers, with or without symptoms.
Voted Addison – The Guide’s favorite freestanding emergency room in our 2020 Readers’ Choice Awards, Advance ER is many of your go-to places to get help when emergencies happen. They are a concierge-level emergency center that provide the same emergency care as a hospital at the same price. They are your No-Wait Dallas Emergency Room with board-certified physicians with an average of over 15 years experience. Learn more by calling 214-247-7909.
We want you to have a fun and festive holiday – and live to see another year! Stay safe, Addison,