If you’ve been watching “Get Organized with The Home Edit” on Netflix and are looking for an excuse to go through your closet, then consider this your chance: the Town of Addison is hosting Sustainability Day Oct. 24 and needs your donations!
Sustainability Day will be from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 24 at the Addison Service Center, located at 16801 Westgrove Drive. Clean out your closet and bring your gently used items to this contactless recycling event. The first 100 people to show up will receive a free shirt!
In addition to the clothes, the organizers of Sustainability Day will also be collecting non-perishable and canned food items for donation to the Metrocrest Services Food Bank.
Other items the Town of Addison is seeking for donation include:
- Computers: Desktops, laptops, servers, LCD monitors, keyboards, mice, speakers and all other computer components.
- Portable Electronics: Cell phones, GPS devices, calculators, portable CD and DVD players, PDAs, and MP3 Players.
- Cameras: Camcorders and all non-disposable film and digital cameras.
- Office Equipment: Fax machines, typewriters, inkjet cartridges, printers, scanners, routers, shredders and copiers.
- Entertainment Electronics: Car and home audio equipment, satellite and cable boxes, VCRs, DVD players and recorders, headphones and multimedia projectors.
- Multimedia: DVD and VHS movies, audiobooks and music CDs. All multimedia items must include original covers.
- Clothing and Accessories: Pants, coats, shirts, purses, belts, shoes, hats, etc.
- Toys and Games: Action figures, blocks, dolls, stuffed animals, etc.
- Video Games: Video games, systems and accessories.
- Sporting Goods: Golf clubs and bags, athletic helmets and pads, baseball bats and gloves, basketball shoes, cleats, hockey sticks, ice skates and roller blades.
- Musical Instruments: Guitars, percussion, strings, woodwinds, brass and electric keyboards.
- Home and Garden: Air purifiers, baby monitors, vacuum cleaners, power tools, electric razors, sewing machines and medical equipment.
- Non-Fiction Books: Cookbooks, craft books, textbooks, etc.
- Collectibles: Comics, figurines, trading cards, etc.
- Pottery, Cookware and Glass Dinnerware: china, porcelain, art pottery, stoneware, etc.
Donated items can be in any condition – damaged, non-working or fully operational. Your donations will help ensure proper recycling of e-waste and save valuable landfill space. A tax deduction slip will be provided for all definitions.
Shredding services will also be provided to this free event, which is open to all Addison residents and non-residents.
To follow proper social distancing, Town employees will follow COVID-19 protocols for PPE and contactless collection. Please arrive at the collection location, follow the signage directing traffic, and remain in your car as a team member greets you. From there, a team member will grab your items for donation, and you can exit, never leaving your car.
For more information, contact Shawn Cheairs at 972-450-2818 or scheairs.addisontx.gov.