Got any weekend plans? With fall slowly approaching and summer-like sunshine still holding on, there is plenty to do in the North Dallas Corridor. See a new movie or re-watch a classic, grab a spiked PSL or a pink drink to support breast cancer awareness, enjoy spicy food on National Gumbo Day and listen to amazing live music. Learn about all this and more in our guide of 7 Things To Do This Week.
Try one of these seasonal drinks at your next happy hour!
1. Through the end of October, RA Sushi is donating money with the purchase of pink items to the American Cancer Society in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. They will donate $2 for every purchase of Pink Kimono Lemonade, Spiked Pink Kimono Lemonade, and the Pink Hope Roll, and they will donate $4 for each Prophesy Rose bottle purchased. These sweet pink cocktails taste even better, knowing that your money is helping others!
2. Satisfy your pumpkin spice craving at Astoria Caffe and Wine Bar, featuring seasonal fall drinks that taste delicious on their own or spiked! These include the Pumpkin Spice Latte (wadd Tuacca Italian Liquor for $6), Chai Latte (add Jameson Irish Whiskey for $8), Nutcase Latte (add Frangelico Hazelnut Liquor for $7), Salted Caramel Cappuccino (add Kahlua Coffee Rum Liquor for $6) and the Gingerbread Cappuccino (add Kraken Spiced Rum for $8).
Celebrate National Gumbo Day in the Corridor.
3. Monday, Oct. 12 is National Gumbo Day, and what better way to celebrate than ordering some delicious gumbo in Addison? At Nate’s Seafood and Steakhouse, you can take your pick of several options. Seafood Gumbo is a traditional Cajun gumbo, but you can also add shrimp and crabmeat for $3 more. Or, you could get the Creole Gumbo, which is shrimp and crabmeat in a thick tomato and okra base. Finally, you can get Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, with fall-off-the-bone tender chicken with sausage, or Combination Gumbo.
4. Cozy up with warm gumbo at Fish City Grill! Their house-made gumbo is made with shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, okra and a dark roux available in a cup for $4.99 or a bowl for $7.49. But if you come in on Monday, National Gumbo Day, you can get a cup of this tasty gumbo for just $1! (Limit one cup per person.) This is available with dine-in and to-go orders – so you have no excuse not to grab it!
Jam out to live music at The Lion & Crown!
5. This Saturday, Oct. 10, Ron Taylor and Darrin DeLatte are coming to the Lion & Crown at 8 p.m. Their band, Taylor-DeLatte, is an acoustic project where the duo plays music from all of their present and past projects, along with the greatest classic hits, on acoustic guitars. It’s going to be a great time.
Arts and Entertainment
This fall, movies are always a good idea!
6. Ida Claire is continuing its Thursday Movie Night this month on the patio. This Thursday, Oct. 8, you can see Space Jam, one of the greatest hits from the ‘90s. While you’re here, you can order special movie-themed cocktails, grab a bite to eat and hang out with your friends, while social distancing outside. Call 214-377-8227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make your reservation.
7. Head to AMC Village on the Parkway 9 for a feel-good comedy, War with Grandpa, premiering this Friday. This movie stars Robert De Niro as a recently widowed grandfather, who moves in with his family, including sixth-grade grandson Peter (Oakes Fegley). When Peter has to give up his private bedroom, it’s full out war against Grandpa Ed! He comes up with increasingly elaborate pranks, but seemingly nothing will make Grandpa leave. This heart-warming, hilarious movie is based on the award-winning book by Robert Kimmel Smith, and also features Christopher Walken, Uma Thurman, Rob Riggle and other familiar faces.