Our suitcases have gotten dusty this summer. Our travel miles unused, our passports unstamped, our Instagram feeds sadly empty. The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has made travel practically impossible (and vacations drastically different). That’s why Visit Addison decided to launch “Destination Addison” this week!
During the pandemic, many of us have been afraid to travel by plane, train or even automobile as the coronavirus numbers kept growing. But, Visit Addison wants to change that – at least virtually.
“Since most of us can’t get out of town this year, seeing pictures of exciting destinations and experiencing global cuisine in Addison’s restaurants will let us travel vicariously,” said Alisha Holmberg, Tourism Coordinator for the Town of Addison, in a recent press release. “We’re happy to celebrate other cultures and places via our restaurants, many of which have been hurting during COVID-19. Participating in Destination Addison by visiting our restaurants for either limited dine-in or curbside pick-up will help them during this precarious time.”
“Destination Addison” allows Visit Addison’s fans a unique way of going around the world, celebrating the town’s 180+ restaurants that travel the globe in terms of cuisine. During the five-week program, they will take to the road – with a different cuisine highlighted in Addison’s virtual voyage every week. They have invited us to join them on the journey by sharing pictures from your past vacations that reflect a weekly theme, so we can all live vicariously through our collective past adventures.
The schedule is as follows:
- The week of Aug. 31: Let’s go Coast to Coast, highlighting restaurants that serve every aspect of American food. You can share your pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Grand Canyon, the Statue of Liberty – and everything in between.
- The week of Sept. 7: Let’s be So-FISH-ticated and celebrate seafood destinations. We want to see those beach photos that we know you have!
- The week of Sept. 14: Let’s take a European Vacation Show us your photos of the London Bridge and Champs-Élysées, or even pictures from previous Addison Oktoberfests. (Since we can’t gather together for Addison’s Oktoberfest this year, we’ll award bonus points for these photos.)
- The week of Sept. 21: Let’s journey to Asia for East Meets Addison. We’re excited to see snapshots from your favorite Asian adventure.
- The week of Sept. 28: Let’s fiesta while we celebrate South of the Border vacations and cuisine. We want to see your pics of Machu Picchu and the pyramids of Mexico.
As a bonus, each week, two (or more!) lucky people who participate will win $100 gift cards to the Addison restaurant of their choice (that fits the category of the week). One grand-prize winner will win an Addison staycation for two that includes one weekend night in a fabulous Addison hotel, along with dinner and brunch.
You can post your photos on @VisitAddison’s Facebook page or tag your photos with #DestinationAddison or @VisitAddison on your own pages. Either way, make sure you follow @VisitAddison on Facebook and Instagram to travel along with our journey and learn about specials from our restaurants.
It may not be the same as the summer vacation you were planning – but it’s still a way to come together with other people, learn about new cultures and cuisines, and have a lot of fun while stuck at home. And if you try something from an Addison restaurant each week, then you will also get a taste of something new as well! It’s the best stay-cation ever.