Eat healthy this week, so you can enjoy all the amazing new cocktails available in Addison this weekend! From fruity salads to fruity margaritas, you’re sure to have a good time! Also, don’t forget to check out the next installment of Addison Weekend Drive-In, or head over to the Addison Athletic Club for swimming before the pool closes for the season. Learn all about these things and more in our guide of 8 Things To Do This Week!
Sip on summertime with these delicious happy hour specials.
1. Transport yourself to a faraway island when you order the new Coco Beach drink at Gloria’s Latin Cuisine. This tropical drink is made with Del Maguey Mezcal, lemon juice, Coco Real puree and pineapple juice. You can also get their new Orange Skinny Mojito, made with Grey Goose Vodka and orange. And don’t forget to come in for happy hour all day Monday to Wednesday and from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, where you can get $6 house margaritas, house mojitos, house wines and sangria, as well as other specials.
2. It’s watermelon season! Enjoy a refreshing Watermelon Margarita at Lazy Dog, made with Tequila Reposado, sweet and sour, fresh watermelon juice, orange liquor, one lime wheel and a salted rim. For more great drinks, stop by for happy hour from 3-6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 p.m.-close Sunday-Thursday for amazing drink and food specials ranging from $3-$7.
Fill up on vegetables by trying these fresh, healthy options in the Corridor.
3. Looking for a mix of sweet and salty? Try Flower Child’s Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon salad, made with quinoa, shaved cauliflower, cucumber, pistachio, feta and champagne vinaigrette. Other popular options are the Turkey Avocado Cobb salad, with romaine, arugula, red cabbage, tomato, cucumber, crunchy corn, pickled onion, smoked almond and gorgonzola vinaigrette; the Thai Dye wrap, with spicy tofu, Thai basil, avocado, carrot, daikon radish, cilantro and snap pea; and the Glow Bowl, made with spicy sweet potato noodle, bok choy, zucchini, onion, jalapeño, shiitake mushroom, coconut milk and sunflower butter.
4. Order a tasty bowl from Grabba Green, which is packed with nutrients. The spicy Southwest Bowl is made with chicken, avocado, black bean, corn, tomato, cheddar-Jack, cilantro, yogurt agave BBQ sauce, and baby spinach or quinoa; and the Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese is made with chicken, gluten-free noodles, cheddar-Jack, feta, parsley and Harissa sauce. You can also get salads, fresh-pressed juice or Grab Your Own bowls or wraps.
Jam out to live music in your car at the next Addison Weekend Drive-In!
5. Addison Weekend Drive-In returns this weekend! Gates open at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 14 and 15, for a show from 8:30-10 p.m. both nights. On Friday, Extended PLAY takes the stage, a six-piece professional band that plays high-energy covers of dance-able songs. Saturday night features Joseph Veazie, who sings pop, rock, R&B and country while making it his own.
Arts and Entertainment
Swim, craft or watch a movie this weekend.
6. Beat the heat by getting some much-needed swimming done at Addison Athletic Club. Beginning Aug. 16, they will be open on Fridays from 4-7 p.m. and Saturdays from noon-5 p.m. (they are closed the rest of the week). The last day of the season is Monday, Sept. 7 (open from noon-7 p.m.), so don’t miss out on the last few weeks of swimming!
7. Follow the Addison Athletic Club Facebook page for fun crafts adults and kids can do every day. Some of the recent videos include using clay to create a small jewelry plate, then added pressed flowers and leave as decorations; making toy instruments from items around the home; using salt to paint colorful pictures; and making a pretty rainbow art piece using colorful crayons.
8. Ready for some at-home entertainment? This week, Nightcrawler (2014) is available to stream on Netflix, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, Bill Paxton and others. This action-packed thriller is about a former lawbreaker who becomes a cameraman by day, and a seeker of terrible crimes to film after dark. A news director hires him to get even more shocking shots, pushing him to the limit to find something scandalizing for TV.