On this edition of Thirsty Thursdays, we are talking about whiskey. Nothing really beats sitting around the fire on the patio with a glass of whiskey spending quality time with friends. Whether reminiscing about the good old days or just sharing about work, family or discussing world events, it’s always a relaxing time.
So let’s talk about a few great whiskey cocktails as well as where to grab a glass of whiskey in Addison!
Let’s start with a classic, the Old Fashioned. This particular recipe comes to us from Johnnie Walker, the famous whiskey maker.
You will need:
- 2oz Johnnie Walker Black Label
- 0.5 oz 1:1 simple syrup
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
Making an Old Fashioned:
- Combine all the ingredients in an ice-filled mixing glass and stir well. (If you don’t have 1:1 simple syrup, you can make this by combining equal quantities of sugar and water in a pan and heating until the sugar dissolves.)
- Serve this cocktail in a tumbler, over one large cube or several small ones. You could even use an ice ball if you prefer.
- Twist a piece of orange zest over the glass to release the aromatic oils.
- To garnish, use an orange peel and sprig of toasted rosemary.
The next cocktail comes to us from Maker’s Mark and it’s called Maker’s Sour. Maker’s Mark describes it as “A refined and refreshing blend of sour and sweet.” You will need:
- 2 parts Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- 1 part simple syrup
- ½ part lemon juice
- Cherry and lemon peel for garnish
Making the Maker’s Sour:
- Add Maker’s Mark, lemon juice, and simple syrup to an ice-filled shaker.
- Give it a good shake.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a lemon peel and a cherry.
The Londoner is the place to for authentic British cuisine, as well as the best place to watch the Premier League, in fact, they were voted at the Best Premier League Bar in America! The Londoner is a great place to hang out and enjoy an evening out on their patio or inside the bar area with friends. Their bar selection is great and features Irish, North American and Texas Whiskey. Enjoy a taste of each with their Whiskey Flights: Classic Scottish Flight, Flight Around Scotland, Royal Flight, Irish Flight, North American Flight. Visit their website for their full menu and more, www.londoneraddison.com.
Of course if you are looking for a place to enjoy a great cigar and a glass of whiskey, look no further than The Cigar Lounge at Chamberlain’s. Open Monday through Saturday from 4 to 10 p.m., the Cigar Lounge is a great place to hang out with friends. Enjoy their Texas Mule or the Maple Bourbon Smash and you sit and talk with friends. Check out their website for more information, www.cigarloungeatchamberlains.com.