Enjoy one of the last weekends of summer with cool beers on the patio or hot sandwiches and live music in the park. Of course, if you are up for adventure, be sure to check out the premiere of The Legend of Arthur or an evening of bliss at Grand Spa! Learn more about the best places to spend your time in our guide of 9 Things To Do This Week.
Beers and bites – what could be better? Try some at happy hour this week.
- School hasn’t even started back up yet, but it’s already time for recess at Public School 972! Come in for some fun happy hour specials from 3-7 p.m. every day. These include $5 beers, like American Kolsch, Hazy Little Thing, Mama’s Little Yella Pils and more; $5 cabernet and chardonnay; $5 well drinks and tasty food options like Pig and Pineapple Flatbread for $6 or Crispy Fish Street Tacos for $7.
- Craft beer goes perfectly with hamburgers, both of which you can get for a special price at Hopdoddy Burger Bar from 3-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. This $5 happy hour includes select craft drafts, all wine, starters and boozy drinks, as well as their monthly special sandwich, Continental Club. These refreshing sandwich is made with turkey, sundried tomato, basil pesto grind, hickory smoked bacon, provolone, arugula and mayo on a whole wheat bun.
Grab a warm sandwich and have a picnic in the park or relax at a cool cafe.
- Sandwiches at Dunn Brothers Coffee are nothing like the PB&J your mom used to pack in your lunchbox. Instead, you get many, Insta-worthy choices: Avocado, Bacon and Egg Toast; Bacon, Tomato and Egg Toast with pesto aioli and balsamic glaze; Tuscan Turkey on Ciabatta; Almond Chicken Salad; and Almond Chicken Salad Wrap are just some of the tasty choices. Pair these with a sweet drink, like the Raspberry White Mocha or the Chocolate Steamed Nirvana cold press.
- During the daylight hours, Astoria Caffe and Wine Bar is a cozy little spot filled with delicious sandwiches and drinks. They have hot paninis, like the Italian Prosciutto Panini with thin Prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella or the Astoria Club Panini with a combination of deli meats and Genoa salami on mozzarella, eggplant spread, feta cheese and tomatoes. Or, opt for a cool salad, like the Caprese Salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, olives and basil or the Waldorf Field Greens Salad with mixed greens, fruits, walnuts and cottage cheese. Top it off with a strong espresso or smooth chai latte.
5. You’re invited to a glamorous evening of pampering at Grand Spa, as they are hosting A Midsummer Night’s Dream on Thursday from 5-8 p.m. This luxurious event will include live music, food, cocktails, mini spa services, raffles, live demonstrations and incredible deals on product and packages. They will also be announcing the winner of the amazing Makeover Giveaway, which includes over $7,000 worth of services.
6. Pamper yourself to new clothes or delightful spa services this weekend. Tax Free Weekend is August 9-11 this year, which is a perfect time to stock up on back-to-school needs. This annual sales tax holiday allows customers to buy clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks (sold for less than $100) tax free. Shop for your kiddo (and yourself, of course) at Village on the Parkway, Galleria Dallas and the Shops at Willow Bend this weekend. If there is a cute top or pair of jeans you’ve had your eye on, now is the time to get it! For more info on what qualifies as tax-free, visit this website.
- This Thursday is your last chance to see Vitruvian Nights Live, a free summer concert series taking place at the amphitheater at Vitruvian Park from 7-9:30 p.m. Hear the amazing sounds of Infinite Journey (a Journey tribute band) on stage while eating food from on-site food trucks or playing outdoor games.
- Come back to Vitruvian Park on Saturday for the next installment of Vitruvian Salsa Festival, featuring a salsa dance lesson at 6:30 p.m., live music throughout the night by Angelucho’s CopaCabana, food trucks and tons of fun dancing! Pro tip: wear your comfortable shoes – you won’t want to sit down all night!
- If you like adventure, magic and romance (who doesn’t?), then see the premiere of Outcry Youth Theatre’s The Legend of Arthur this weekend! This show, written by Becca and Jason Johnson-Spinos based on the Arthurian legend, is about the tale of Arthur: as a boy, a man and a king. It features all your favorite characters, including Guinevere, Lancelot and Merlin, as well as your favorite parts of the story, like the sword in the stone and the Knights of the Round Table. See it Friday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 2 or 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.