Happy Labor Day weekend! Celebrate your hard work by taking this long weekend to relax, enjoy a cold drink and check out one of the many events happening in the North Dallas Corridor. Find out more about the Green Chile Festival, Vitruvian Nights Live and the opening day event of Sidecar Social in our guide of 7 Things To Do This Week!
Chips and salsa are always a good idea! Check out some of these Mexican spots in town.
1. Heat up your week by visiting Chuy’s Addison for the spicy Green Chile Festival, going on from now through Sunday. This festival is all about eating the fresh green chile peppers from their farms in New Mexico. Items on the special menu include Fired Up Steak Enchiladas, served with green chile rice; Pork Belly Tacos, with pork belly braised with green chile; Steak Burrito topped with hatch green chile sauce; and more! Wash it all down with the fiery New Mexican Martini, made with – you guessed it – green chile-infused el Jimador tequila.
2. Another amazing Mexican food spot in Addison is the Taqueria La Ventana, known for their delicious tacos, bowls, burritos and quesadillas! Simply choose your favorite meat – steak, chicken, marinated or shredded pork, shrimp, beef tongue, braised beef, chopped brisket or veggies – and they will make your food with homemade tortillas. You can also get a colorful Ensalada Fresca, frozen margaritas, draft or bottled beer, or breakfast tacos served all day.
3. Come into Hopdoddy Burger Bar weekdays from 3-6:30 p.m. to enjoy select craft drafts, wine and boozy drinks for just $5! Some of the tastiest concoctions include the Bellini Dip, which is made with a peach puree and prosecco dunked into a goblet of frozen margarita; the Berry Gin Fizz, made with prairie organic gin, blackberry, cardamom, lime and bubbles; or the Kentucky Bramble, which has Wild Turkey Bourbon, raspberry, lemon, ginger and angostura.
4. Order drinks at the bar or the patio from 3-6 p.m. weekdays or from 9-close Sunday-Thursday at Lazy Dog to take advantage of the happy hour specials. If you are in the mood for something sweet, try the housemade sangria with pomegranate red, white peach or raspberry rose; the seasonal hibiscus margarita or the pink lemon drop martini. For something a little stronger, go for the Cowboy Up, made with 16 oz. house draft beer plus a shot of Jameson, Jack Daniel’s, Altos tequila or Milagro tequila!
5. The last Vitruvian Nights Live is taking place this Thursday from 7-9:30 p.m. (it was rescheduled from its original date on Aug. 8.) Come by to lisen to the music from Infinite Journey, a Journey tribute band, play outdoor games, eat food from the outdoor food trucks and just hang out on the lawn, soaking up the late summer air. This is the last Vitruvian Nights Live of the season, and you don’t want to miss it!
6. This is the last weekend to see Bernard Bortnick’s beautiful paintings hanging on the walls of the Addison Conference Centre! Stop by from now through Monday to seehis exhibit, “Windows of My Mind,” which is part of the AddisonArt Program. These vibrant paintings are a mix of acrylic and watercolor that include abstract and realism images. Additionally, many of these paintings have hidden social and political connotations that Bortnick expresses in his own unique way. Call 972-450-6241 to make an appointment to see the art this week!
7. Celebrate the opening of the newest hang-out spot inside Village on the Parkway, Sidecar Social! Come early to this opening day event to get $4 call drinks, ½ price wine by the glass and $5 craft cocktails from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Later, jam out to the amazing sounds of Time Machine this Friday night at 9 p.m. Time Machine brings you the best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond, so people of all ages and tastes are sure to have a good time!