July is the heart of the summer, where tan lines are in full force, temperatures are in the triple digits and everybody switches beer for margaritas. Enjoy this time of the year in Addison, where you can try seasonal dishes, enjoy 80s-themed live music, see a hilarious live show and raise a glass filled with a delightful, frozen watermelon margarita. Learn more in our guide of 9 Things to Do This Week below.
- A fresh, sweet watermelon is the perfect summertime treat – the only thing that could make it better is a little alcohol! Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar agrees, which is why it’s offering the seasonal watermelon margarita right now, made with tequila, fresh watermelon, housemade sweet and sour, lime and a salted rim. Come in on Thursday and Sunday from 9 p.m.-close or Friday from 3-6 p.m. to get this drink and others for a special happy hour price!
- Frozen margaritas are the perfect addition to a hot summer day in Texas. Stop by Mesero for a beautiful and delicious cool drink, like the Meserita, made with herradura silver, cointreau and citrus; the Brandon, a frozen margarita with fresh mango, strawberry puree and sangria; the Berry Street, another frozen marg blended with a blueberry puree liquor; the La Chingona, made with montelobos mezcal, cointreau, ancho reyes, citrus and chile morita or the Froze, which is frozen rose wine with vodka and licor 43. Come by for happy hour from 3-5 p.m. daily for $2 off all cocktails!
- Meat, meat and more meat is why Texas de Brazil is a local favorite, but every few months, the chefs like to add a seasonal meat option to the rotation to keep guests interested. This time is the Spicy Picanha, available from now until September. This is a spicy kick in the mouth compared to the traditional picanha, for a taste that’s almost as hot as a Texas summer! Don’t forget to try the quarterly salad area feature as well, which is a Santa Fe Brazilian Salad made with Brazilian hearts of palm.
- Your regular greasy hamburger is getting a healthy upgrade for the month of July at Hopdoddy Burger Bar, where the seasonal item of the month is The Thunderbird – made with chicken instead of beef. This tasty treat is topped with smoked bacon, pepper jack cheese, poblano peppers, avocado, pico de gallo, chipolte aioli and lettuce. It’s so good for you, you can afford to add a sinfully good shake to your order, right? We recommend the sugar rush-inducing Nutella Chocolate Pretzel!
- Kick off your weekend with live music at Vitruvian Park during Vitruvian Nights Live this Thursday from 7-9:30 p.m. The Molly Ringwalds, an 80s show band will be performing all your favorite hits from back in the day. During the performance, you can kick back on a blanket under the stars, get food from food trucks or play outdoor games with friends. This free event is the most relaxing way to spend a summer evening in town!
- Dive “Under the Sea” with your favorite redhead at Outcry Youth Theatre’s production of “Disney’s The Little Mermaid Jr.”, premiering Friday at 7:30 p.m. and running until July 21 at the Addison Theatre Centre. This musical is about Ariel, a mermaid who wants to be human so badly that she makes a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, to trade her voice for legs. This exciting adventure is fun for all ages!
- Known for his wildly successful movies and TV shows (“White Chicks,” “A Haunted House,” “Marlon”), Marlon Wayans is bringing his comedic talent to the Addison Improv this weekend! Get your tickets for Friday, Saturday or Sunday to see this actor, producer, comedian, writer and film director in person. His films have grossed more than $736 million in the domestic box office. Can’t get enough Wayans? See his Netflix comedy special “Woke-ish” now or watch his upcoming movie, “Sextuplets”, set to be released this summer.
- Discover your new favorite vino at the Drink North Texas Blind Wine Tasting Competition from 1-6 p.m. Sunday at the Addison Conference and Theatre Centre! Here, you can sip on more than 40 wines from over 20 wineries in North Texas while listening to live music and munching on snacks. This fun event takes all preconceived notions out of the equation to truly let you focus on your tastebuds. Tickets are available online for $60 per person.
- Hoping to add a new furry friend to your family? Visit Lazy Dog in Addison from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday for the Bull Luv’in at the Lazy Dog event, where the Bull Luv Able Paws and Chi Wawas Rescue is bringing many adorable, rescued pit bulls and Chihuahuas for people to meet and consider bringing home. Even if you don’t want a dog, it’s a good chance to eat food, pet animals and learn more about this organization.